For this recipe, we used adorable bone-shaped cookie cutters to achieve the unmistakable dog treat appearance, use any cookie cutter shape you have available or slice the treats into bite-sized pieces using a sharp knife. Adjust the cooking time of the pumpkin dog treats depending on your dog, 10 minutes extra in the oven will cause a crunchy treat, whilst 5 minutes less will be soft and chewy, perfect for older dogs. Store these treats in an airtight container, up to 1 week at room temperature or 1 month in the refrigerator.
These pumpkin dog treats are the ideal gift to share with your fellow dog owners, the combination of pumpkin puree and peanut butter both provide a sweet smooth richness which your pets will love!
Homemade Pumpkin and PB Dog Treat
- Electric mixer
- Rolling Pin
- Baking tray
- Cookie cutter (optional)
- 6 oz pumpkin puree
- 2 oz peanut butter
- 2 oz egg
- 9 oz flour
- Preheat an oven to175°C
- Into an electric stand mixer add the pumpkin puree, peanut butter and eggs. Using the paddle attachment whip the ingredients for 2 minutes to combine well. Then reduce the speed of the mixer and gradually pour in the flour. The dough should be together and easy to roll.
- Transfer the pumpkin dough to a lightly floured surface and knead until uniform. Then roll out the dough to 0.5cm thick and cut using cookie cutters.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and place the cut pumpkin dog treats onto the tray.
- Bake the treats in the preheated oven for 25 minutes until crisp and golden.
- Remove the pumpkin dog treats from the oven and allow to cool completely on a wire rack. Then store in an airtight container up to 1 week at room temperature or 1 month in the refrigerator.