Homemade dog food can be surprisingly easy, more affordable and healthier for your pet. Follow the recipe below for a hassle-free homemade meal for your dog, allowing the crockpot to do all the hard work.
Prepare the fresh ingredients then adjust your crock pot depending on how much time you have available, 4 hours on high and the chicken will be ready or set on low for 6-8 hours whilst you’re busy with your day.
This recipe creates two servings for a medium-sized dog and can easily be doubled or scaled up for batch cooking to create meals for the whole week. Store in a refrigerator in an air-tight container for up to 3 days or store in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Thanks to the slow cooking the chicken thighs become extremely tender and are then shredded. The main benefit of shredding the chicken is that it is easily digestible no matter the size of your dog. Allow the dish to cool then serve to your lucky pup!
Crockpot Dog Food Recipe with Chicken
- 3 oz chicken thighs,boneless and skinless
- 3.5 oz butternut squash,peeled and roughly chopped
- 6 oz carrot, roughly chopped
- 6 oz green beans, sliced in half
- 10 oz courgette, roughly chopped
- 7 oz brown rice
- 8 oz water
- Into a crockpot place thechicken thighs into the centre base of the pot.
- Scatter the chopped butternut squash, carrot, green beans and courgette around the base of the pot, alongside the chicken.
- Then add the brown rice and water, using a wooden spoon stir to combine..
- Place the lid on top and seal the crockpot. Set on low for 6 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- After cooking open the lid and shred the chicken. Using two forks the chicken thigh should easily shred amongst the cooked vegetables and sauce.
- Allow the dish to cool then serve your homemade natural dog food to your lucky pet.