Yes, moldy bread is bad for dogs.
Moldy foods can contain mycotoxins and multiple types of bacteria.
Dogs are very curious creatures and sometimes enjoy eating things they’re not allowed to.
If some of those things are contaminated they might cause a severe toxic reaction.
Here’s all you should know about moldy bread poisoning.
What Causes Poisoning in Moldy Bread?
Toxins produced by fungi and bacteria cause mold in bread.
The mold that grows on sugary and wet food secretes mycotoxins.
These compounds can be dangerous for both humans and dogs.
They can be an issue if your pet likes to consume food that has been thrown away.
Depending on the source and the symptoms, toxins are grouped in multiple families.
The majority of them are tremorgenic. 
They contain a neurotoxic component that can make dogs tremble or have seizures.
A bacterial species called Penicillium creates tremorgenic mycotoxins.
Penitrem-A can be discovered in a variety of damaged foods, including nuts, dairy, and wheat.
The Aspergillus fungus produces a toxin called aflatoxin in bread and oats.
In dogs, this kind of toxin can result in hepatocellular necrosis. 
A study conducted by The American Association of Veterinary analyzed an outbreak.
60 out of 65 dogs fed with cornbread died from aflatoxin intoxication.
The lethal outcome was a result of extensive liver necrosis and massive ascites. 
Main Symptoms of Mold Poisoning in Dogs
The symptoms of moldy food poisoning usually appear in the first 24 hours of ingestion.
In some cases, this can be prolonged for up to 3 days.
The main symptoms include the following:
- Abdominal pain
- Icterus (a yellowish color of skin and mucosa)
- Hyperthermia (high fever) 
Diagnosis of Moldy Bread Poisoning
To determine if a dog got poisoned with a mycotoxin, vets should look at a history of eating moldy food.
Owners need to bring a sample of the allegedly illicit substance.
This will make it easier for the veterinarian to locate the mycotoxin that is the root of the issue. 
Reduced liver function will be seen in a blood test if aflatoxins are present.
Laboratory testing of the contents of your dog’s stomach may also be required.
You need to conduct tests to rule out other potential causes.
Similar symptoms could be brought on by ingesting harmful compounds. 
These include ethylene glycol, hydrocarbons, or amphetamines.
If owners weren’t present for the incident, a history of your dog’s recent activities may be useful.
Treatment of Moldy Bread Poisoning
The main focus of the initial treatment is removing the sources of the poisoning.
While the dog is sedated, the vet can perform gastric lavage.
Both cathartic drugs and activated carbon may be administered.
Their purpose is to stop absorption in the stomach and to start bowel motions.
I.V. fluids are frequently included in the treatment plan.
Diazepam is frequently recommended in mycotoxin poisoning, for the prevention of seizures. 
When seizures are severe, injectable methocarbamol may be required.
Electrolytes and fluid replacement will enhance liver function.
In serious situations, blood transfusions can be necessary.
If your dog is in shock, corticosteroids will be recommended.
For less severe cases, owners should wait a few hours before offering food.
Afterward, serve them bland food, such as chicken and boiled rice. 
Yogurt can also be added to the mixture.
This should be sufficient to calm their stomachs and suppress any mold infection.
Recovery in Dogs with Moldy Food Poisoning
With prompt treatment, mycotoxin intoxication is typically curable in dogs.
To stop a repeat of the poisoning, the source must be identified and eliminated.
Purchase new dog food, and dispose of the old food in a dog-proof trash can or a secured container.
Smaller purchases of dog food can lower the possibility of infestation.
Make an effort to teach your dog to avoid rubbish.
Teaching the command “leave it” can also be extremely helpful. 
Can Moldy Bread Cause Poisoning in Dogs?
Yes, moldy bread can cause poisoning in dogs.
The poisoning occurs when toxins from fungi or bacteria are released in the food.
The main poisoning symptoms include vomiting and diarrhea.
Elimination of the source and rehydration are the first steps of the treatment.